Thursday, January 18, 2007

Reply.

Dear valued staff,

It seems that the incident just now may have sent the wrong message to all of you. Fearing this, I have decided to write this explanation to you. I hope through this explanation, you would understand why I couldn't control my emotion when I posed the final question to our VP and the two GMs during our Town Hall this morning.

My intended question was simple: HR take care of the people, but who will take care of HR?

My mistake was to comment on the video presentation which I honestly think have some impact on my emotional stability this morning. The video tells about the sacrifices that have been made, and have to be made by the employees of this Company, and also their respective family, to drive this Company further, and further.

I related the message from the video, to my own personal experiences within the first year of employment with this Company. Truthfully, I've gained a lot. So, did my wife.

We will always be very grateful for the sponsorship the Company gave us to pursue our bachelor's degree. If not for that sponsorship, we may have not met each other, fall in love and got married.

But now, we have to sacrifice our time together by being over 300km apart of each other, also because of the sponsorship.

I understand that it takes a few years for us to get the approval for a transfer, and I could wait. However, at times, I do question whether is it worth the wait.

The most valueable and irreplaceable asset that all of us have is time. Money cannot buy time. No reward is worth the time - quality time - spent with the people we love and care about.

I have learnt this while I was growing up.

When I was asking the question to our VP and our two GMs this morning, I realized that all these years, I was always being taken away from the people I love.

When I was two, I was taken away from my parents, to be raised by my grandparents. I could only see my parents during school holidays. I recall being abused - most of the time emotionally, sometimes physically - by my late Pak Teh.

When I was twelve, I went to a boarding school, away from my family. You may have heard or read the stories about bullying by seniors which I need not to elaborate. I managed to stay for almost two years, and finally fit in. However, I had my first epileptic attack and was transferred out from the school to stay with my family. I went to an ordinary school.

Between then and the day I got into another boarding school, were the happiest days of my life.

Now, I'm taken away again, by the Company, from my wife. I've been given a job which is different from what I've studied, on a position - and work load - of a senior executive but with an entry-level salary of a fresh graduate.

These realization suddenly touched the soft spot, and tears started rolling down my cheek.

I apologize for the change in mood it caused, and thank you for reading this.

Regards,
MSA

p/s: The message was never sent.

14 comments:

dueng said...

i remember last engagement meeting with MD/CEO of carigali. they showed us the value of sacrificing but it seems i'm not touched watching the video. whether i just not understood to be at their place or just my skeptism to management seems too thick to penetrate my emotion.

it's not suprising me that in order to get up there, you need to kiss lots of asses. not to mention thousand backstabbing to your own colleague. seems they try to potray the value that even them not praise to it. it's just a strategy to keep people down there at their place. to ensure they do good deeds, not minding their work being credited to others, and give opportunities to those lucky bastard to take chance on the poor one, as much as they can.

that's the reality. seeing people backstabbing each other in order to get up there really make me want to puke when they trying to potray that they really pouring all the effort to get up there.

enough with "we concern bout you" message which never been true. company is a place for capitalist making money while spending a bit to reward their worker, enough to make them stay.

(it's my skeptism)

being away from family hard for first time while waiting you get used to it. i been 10 years away from my family. in my case, it's much better to be away from them since i always get into fight with my mom at most of the time we met.

it's much better to be away from her than get closed to her but get into fight everytime. i love her in my own way. and she's realize that and really try to understand me better. since love is subjective, it's up to you on how you should express it. i still call my mom every week once, a routine she teach me so that she can feel i close to her. for 10 years i been away from her, that's the main communication that keep us close. and everytime i talked to her, i manage to smile back even how tough things get to me. it's a learning process through this 10 years and i'm glad to at last managed to understand my mom.

don't worry, you'll get used to it. at the same time, learn to make things improved between both of you. formulated special activities both of you could enjoy everytime you met. make her feel special. avoid routine, try new things that might rewarding. ask and consier her opinion, so she feel appreciated and important. always make suprise that can flattered her.

just my 2 cent opinion. :P

Sayuti said...

dueng, i understand where you coming from. try to keep an open mind about everything.

take a piece of white paper. put a black dot on it. now, focus on the white, not the black.

look at the facts. think. i believe you can change from a skeptic to a believer.

cheers.

Jannah said...

Abang rindu your wife huh? Be glad at least you found and have love. Whether or not she's right there by your side, in spirit she's in you. Plus you can always call her up.

Tapi kan mesti suck ass sungguh having to do something totally against what you've studied in Uni.

Oh well. Onwards soldier of Love. Gambate!

ungu_violet said...

huhuhu. sedeynye. but from all the things that been said and done,it surely makes u a better man. and a better person.

Sayuti said...

cik jannah: thank you.

yes. thats what i keep telling myself.

well, in material science, under fracture mechanics, there's something called fatique failure.

even the hardest material can break if put into repetitive cyclic stress.

well, so does human being...

miza: insyaAllah...

~inilah saya~ said...

Sayuti...

Kapitalis memang macam tuh pun. Memang sakit. Tapi kadang-kadang kita kena luahkan apa yang dah lama tersimpan kat hati ni.

You're right dude!!!

Anonymous said...

bak kata mak "mak marah sebab mak sayang..."

dueng said...

yeah, in my case...it's quite hard to be a believer. but with time goes on, i will learn to have faith in people. or looking at greener grass of the fence. or walking in the rain. or love puppy. or craving for rainbow.

ini lah masalahnya kalau obsess dgn house MD. :P

i try my best. thanks for good advice. :). cheers.

harni said...

I was suprised and yet touched by your words and air mata.. mula2 nak gelak tapi sebab ko kawan aku aku paham la situasi ko.. kalo org lain maybe tersengih skit kot.. nway,datin x marah ke pastu? he he he

Anonymous said...

we are both in the same league sayut...it's just the distance between me and my wife is much further 400++ km.

sometimes i do agree with you. yes, we can wait, but sometimes the feeling is unbearable, especially for me since my wife is pregnant now.

we not only lost in sense of time, but money as well. luckily i managed to rope in some people who are also weekly husband and wife to travel with me. at least 3/4 of the expenses covered by other people.

whatever it is, stay in control. probably god do not provide you what you want, but do give you what you really need later...insyaallah

artisticklytouch said...

laa...gituh pulak citernya. Hope u tabah sayut ye...

the take blank white paper and do the dot thing... are you talking to yourself?

Sayuti said...

abang shah: demikianlah...

thanks.

alom: kalau suami sayang pulak...?

dueng: yep. you are watching too much house. i've stopped because suddenly all p2p software in my pc doesn't work anymore. i can't download. huwaa

harni: maunya tak marah, bila vp tegur "take care of your staff."

tadi baru je cakap kat aku, "you're not supposed to say that. it shows that you are not tough enough"

huu...

gavin r0ssdale: yep. in a sense, i'm grateful that i'm just 300km away. a friend of mine is separated by the south china sea from his wife.

i can bear the distance but, it hurts to listen to the whimpering of the missus.

yet, life must goes on...

artisticklytouch: begitulah ceritanya...

yes, to myself and to anyone who want to listen.

dueng said...

back to topic, i think HR people should take care of themself. i mean, support each other. since all of you have experience taking care of people, why don't you taking care of each other?

same goes to me. i clean up everybody's mess, who's gonna clean my mess? it's my boss, my colleague, or myself. same goes to me. we clean each other mess.

sometimes when things get nasty, sometimes when nothing can be right, sometimes we nearly lose our sight, we remind each other on how important this job to others, how important for us to put our soul into this job, so that when things get tough, we could smile.

i know it's pretty much (too) sunshine, love puppy and walking in the rain, but it's work. always help juniors/new comers to do some reflection on their way handle their job and you might want to get some help from your superior. it's good to have a comfy shoulder to resting on when you're too tired thinking bout things. be one and GOD shall reward you in great way.

look around and lots of people could be your comfy shoulder. friends, families, love one, colleague, and superior.

(it's so not me. i know. :P )

Sayuti said...

:O

dueng... tau takpe. (merefer ayat terakhir... yang dalam bracket tersebut)