Monday, December 18, 2006

Nowhere.

There's a lot of things going on right now. I have quite a few things to write, but haven't found the willpower to do so.

Me and beloved wife (should be 'My beloved wife and I') went to Batu Pahat on Saturday. Her best friend from primary school got married, and since the friend attended our wedding, my beloved wife felt we have to attend hers too. So, we did.

Last week has been hectic. Next week will be worse. My desk planner are full of scribbles of meetings and events I have to attend.

"Scary nye calendar abang..." Arfah commented when she saw it.

Yes, she called me 'abang'. Gave me goosebumps. We've been trying to make her stop addressing not-too-senior staff (like me) 'abang' and 'kakak', but were not very successful. Can't blame her though. She's just trying to be polite.

I'm going to have a meeting with a person from the Education Division on the 19th, regarding an on-the-job attachment program for the people of Mauritania at my unit. Mauritania, not Mauritius. Never heard about it? It's my first time too. I had to look it up on the net and have been studying about the country for the past few weeks.

On the 20th, I called for a meeting with a few representatives from each department to discuss on our unit's Family Day, which is scheduled to be held in February next year. I had to call for the meeting before everyone starts going off for their long holidays. At least, the planning part can be started soon. Datin wasn't very happy though. She wanted to take leave starting on the19th onwards. She didn't expect me to call for that meeting and appoint the committee myself, eventhough she assigned me this task herself.

*sigh*

And on the 21st, there will be an English proficiency test for all executives and support staff in my unit. This will mark the kick-off of the English program I've been talking about for the past few weeks.

It was not an easy task to convince the staffs to take that test. Some of them have excellent result in TOEFL, IELTS and MUET. I was accused of not recognizing their achievement by making it compulsory for everyone to take the test. I countered with 'If you've passed TOEFL, IELTS and MUET, this one will not be much of a problem. If you want to be excluded, please get approval from the Management'. I have to take that test too, you know.

I love using 'the Management' as my shield. Of course, I have their endorsement. Not that I made up their directive and use it for personal gains.

Last week, I had quite a debate with a manager from other department on the topic of HR as the voice of the Management. The manager said that most of the time, HR will act on behalf of the Management, as if HR staffs don't have their own stand on the issue or have the point of view as the other staffs of the Company.

I had to explain to her that as a staff of HR, we have our own set of ethics that we have to follow. Sometimes, we feel the same way as the other staffs, and we do debate with the Management on behalf of the staff before any policy is approved and rolled out.

As the policy enabler, we have to put the Company's interest beyond our own personal interest. Although we may disagree with the policy, we have to put our own personal opinion behind whenever we communicate and enforce the policy to the staff. If we cant handle that, the best way is to resign from the post in HR. If not, we've breached our code of profesionalism.

She bought it. I didn't bluff.

The burden is still bearable. Yet, it's tough being an HR practitioner. We tend to get all the blame. Its just part of the job...


p/s: I'm tired and its almost 4.00 am when I'm writing this. Insomniac. So, a lot of grammatical errors are expected.

9 comments:

HCI said...

Sayuti, blogging is for fun and yet you are editing your writing. Heh, heh, kalau nak perfect, buat buku ler. You ni perfectionist sangat kot, so full of stress. Jaga2 nanti hang dapat chronic illness.

Anonymous said...

kalo ada cuti, amek, ko dh overwork dh ni

Pegawai Khalwat said...

Dedikasi sangat la hang ni

Sekali sekala kena 'wifekasi' sama.

Huhu.

dueng said...

it's a norm that HR of a company either being so much loved by employee or so much hated. here in carigali, the same way happened. sometimes, i feel it's wrong to blame them, but you need someone to blame for your own failure, thus the enabler, the enforcer became the target.

everybody love HR when they get salary hike, extra cuti, extra beenfit and/or naik pangkat. but that's not happened much in a year. LOL.

btw, i'm pretty sure that arfah is my batch. i met her last 2 week at lobby. btw, dia panggil ko abang? ouch...terasa tua sgt. :P .

english test? i wonder when PCSB going to implement it. please don't gimme grammar test cause i almost forget all those grammar rules. construct sentences is ok, vocabulary also still can survive. grammar never been my favorite area since sekolah rendah.

bilangual translation pretty much my area. :P

Sir Mute Key Chicks said...

ey,you ni memang like to tulis in perfect bahasa ker?no perlulah. just macam all the china lor.kasi lojak-lojak sula cukup lor.kekeke.

don't be too stressful bro.just take it easy.kan janet kan,kan,kan.

Anonymous said...

ko nak annual leave aku sket ke? aku ada 6 hari lg ni, tak tau nak bazirkan kat mana. bawak tahun dpn je la nampak gaya. anyone, annual leave for sale? sehari rm20, kamon2..

btw, professionalism ada 3 s.

Sayuti said...

kak has: just until abis kelas english tu. nobody can be perfect, but everybody can try.

stress can be good. thats why lepas ni ada stress management class pulak.

azhar: cuti sakit la kot yang tinggal. haha

rina: dah abis dah. tu lah, nak guna la ni... huhu

tuan pegawai: haha. 'wifekasi' setiap hujung minggu.

dueng: its part of the job description. nak wat camne kan? huhu

semut: still manageable lagi ni. huhu. what doesn't kill you, make you stronger.

kmie gendut: takpe2. dah dekat nak habis tahun dah pon.

yep. salah eja. and 'my desk planner is'... not 'are'.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Now i dun blame u for not joining me to that mountain climbing trip.. the mountain on the desk of HR lagi berat kut..

BTW, aku yg duk jauh dr perantauan nih kene gak ker amik english proficiency test tu ker, 'bang'~~?

spider

Sayuti said...

hoho. tak payah la wong. nanti la ko dah grad nanti.